Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Nope, this one is not Larry Craig.

From The Advocate

GOP Legislator Guilty of Soliciting Bathroom Sex

"After a short deliberation Friday, Florida state representative Bob Allen was found guilty of soliciting oral sex in a public bathroom. While he did not testify during the trial -- a decision made by his attorneys, MSNBC reports -- the fallen politico said that he is innocent of the charges and has done nothing wrong.
"My family, my God, and my constituents know that, and we're not going to stop until we get that justice," Allen said, according to MSNBC.
Moments after the verdict was announced, Florida house speaker Marco Rubio released a statement denouncing Allen and recommending that he be removed from his Merritt Island seat. "


I think Brian at Incertus said it best:

"It's possible that Allen could face jail time, which I think is ridiculous. Frankly, I think the idea of public restroom stings is stupid all the way around, as I said during our famous Naugle-blogging period, but jail time for this is beyond stupid.These laws are odious, make no mistake about it. They criminalize consensual sex between adults, and they are targeted specifically at homosexuals. The reason that I find the scandals so hilarious is because they seem to net the very people who bloviate the loudest for the laws in the first place, but if we were a sane society, these laws wouldn't be on the books, and Bob Allen and Larry Craig could cruise to their hearts' content. But for me, as long as they keep calling for the laws, I'll keep pointing and laughing when they get busted breaking them."

Here is my take on the whole sordid affair:

For years I have watched the conservative right pursue a policy of institutionalized gay bashing. I often felt “thou dust protest too much.” Too many Republicans have been confirmed as hypocrites. I am now left with the awful realization that my gay friends were victimized by other gay people. I did not know what to do with this until I realized that a society that hates people, for what they are, breeds self-hate. Too many Republicans and some religious leaders seem to fall into this trap. I just hope that time will heal this wound, and we can move on to improving the lives of fellow Americans rather than telling them they are an aberration.

No comments: